Some quick thoughts on the Tribe:
- When I heard the rumor the Chicago White Sox would claim Manny Ramirez of the LA Dodgers when he is placed on waivers, I must admit part of me hoped it wouldn’t happen. Not for anything related to Manny or the White Sox, but more because one of my wildest baseball fantasies is that Sox GM Kenny Williams would get desperate, and claim Indians DH Travis Hafner. It’s pretty unrealistic, as unlike Manny, Hafner sucks, but if it were to happen, it would pretty much be the best thing to ever happen to this team. To which I say, “not very likely though.”
- The Indians and Yankees completed the Austin Kearns deal, acquiring RHP Zach McAllister. McAllister, 22, is in AAA and was ranked the Yankees’ fifth-best prospect going into this season. Unfortunately, he has a 5.09 ERA with 132.2 IP, 165 H, 82R/75 ER, 38 BB, 88 K. Not great numbers, but he’s young, and they got him for Austin Kearns. He’s probably nothing more than a solid back-end starter, but you need those guys to fill out your system and the Tribe only gave up a few months of Austin Kearns. To which I say, “eh.”
- It looks like Jared Goedert might not be a September call-up after all, which frankly kind of sucks. I understand the logic – he’s not hitting as well as he was, and his defense is still shaky. Don’t call up a guy and start blowing his options when he’s not ready. But I honestly don’t know how much more of Nimartuena I can take. To which I say, ” I really wish Acta would stick with one guy.”
- Manny Acta is apparently a fan of Birdman. I’m assuming Anthony Castrovince is not an adult swim fan, because he never connected Birdman to his more recent series on adult swim, Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law. Kind of surprised me because Castrovince isn’t exactly a dinosaur, in terms of age. To which I say, “everyone has their own tastes.”
- In that same blog by Castrovince listed above, he mentions that Adam Miller is still trying to come back. Good for him, even if it’s still a major long shot. After Miller’s career died I honestly stopped watching prospects for a while. Just kind of sad to see all that potential wasted to injury. To which I say, “if he ever throws a pitch in the majors, it will be a major accomplishment.
- Shin-Soo Choo won the first pick in the Indians fantasy football draft. To which I say, “his drafting can’t be any worse than the Browns.”
- Finally, I don’t tweet much, but @DeepLeftField did send a request to @ChrisPerez54 to change his Twitter picture from one of Perez in a Cardinals uniform to that of an Indians uni. I encourage more tweeters to politely hound Chris to do so. And yes, that’s the real Chris Perez. To which I say, “thankfully, @PureRage_Perez (who is not the real Chris Perez) is not closing up shop.”