The winter meetings have started in Florida, and to no one’s surprise, the Indians are not expected to make any major moves. However the Indians will still be represented at the meetings, and I thought I’d come up with a list of things Indians GM Chris Antonetti can do to keep himself entertained.
- Write a “Thank You” note to the Pirates for signing Andy Marte. Because now he’s for sure never coming back to the Indians, and I’ll no longer have a reason to write about him.
- Kick the tires on some of the stopgap third basemen out there. Oh, I know you just signed Jack Hannahan, but something tells me he’s no sure shot to take the job. Yes, the names are enticing. Edwin Encarnacion. Nick Punto. Maybe even flirt with Adrian Beltre. But don’t sign any of them. Why waste the money if it isn’t going to be a clear upgrade? Let Jayson Nix fumble away until Jared Goedert or Lonnie Chisenhall are ready. Don’t get locked into something stupid.
- Call Cliff Lee. Just to say “hi!” and just for a minute,because he’s got a big call coming in soon.
- Play stupid trivia games. Like, “Who are the only Indians remaining from the 2007 division champion team?”
- Offer spring invites to scrap-heap arms. John Maine, Manny Delcarmen and Zach Miner are some of the more, um, interesting names out there. Try and lure one out to Goodyear, because that rotation and bullpen are definitely not set.
- Sign Shin-Soo Choo to a contract extension. Please, I know you don’t have a lot of money to spend on Christmas gifts this year, Indians. But can you do the fanbase a favor, and get something done with Choo and his agent, Scott Boras? Even if it only locks him up through arbitration, it’s better than nothing and it keeps his salary from spiraling out of control. Of course, since we’ve been so good this season and suffered through so much crap, maybe you could wrap up one of his free agent years as well. It doesn’t hurt to ask.