The Indians announced a timetable for the return of rookie third baseman Lonnie Chisenhall that could have him playing sometime next month.
- On Wednesday, Josh Tomlin underwent Tommy John surgery for a torn ligament in his right elbow.
- After another setback in his return from a multitude of injuries, Grady Sizemore was shut down for the season.
- On Thursday, Paul Dolan backed Manny Acta, Chris Antonetti and Mark Shapiro, saying that their jobs are not in jeopardy and that the situation will be reevaluated at season’s end.
- On Friday, Matt LaPorta was recalled from Columbus and started at first base for the Tribe.
WAHOO’S ON FIRST HIGHLIGHTS:
- Brian previewed the series with the Seattle Mariners and the series with the New York Yankees
- Lewie interviewed Matthias Kullowatz and Joel Condreay of SoDo Mojo about the Mariners
- Geordy gave his Minor-Ity report as the minor league season begins to wind down
- Ed explained why Chris Perez’ behavior should not be tolerated by the Indians
- Lewie looked at the Indians’ slump, by the numbers
- Lewie speculated on Grady Sizemore’s future in Cleveland
- In this week’s Wroundtable, we discussed what the Indians should do by the August 31 trade deadline
- Jason Kipnis had 11 home runs heading into the All-Star Break. He hit his first home run of the second half on Monday.
- Since beating Justin Verlander on July 26, the Indians have gone 5-22.
PLAYER OF THE WEEK: Casey Kotchman
The offense was lacking this past week, but Kotchman remained steady at the plate with a .438 batting average in six games. He had three walks and two RBI, coming on Tuesday and Wednesday and each being the only run of the respective games.
QUOTE OF THE WEEK:
“It’s sad. I won’t call it disappointing. I’m just sad for the human being that he is, and the type of player that he is. Especially for me, because one of the things that attracted me the most to this job was Grady Sizemore, being able to have a player that was going to help me win ballgames by himself.” – Manny Acta