- Jeanmar Gomez was recalled from Triple-A on Wednesday for additional bullpen help. He started on Saturday in place of Roberto Hernandez, who was ailing from a sprained ankle.
- Shelley Duncan was designated for assignment on Wednesday.
- The Indians claimed Scott Maine off waivers from the Chicago Cubs on Wednesday. He is a left-handed pitcher and will report to Columbus.
- Active rosters expanded on Saturday. The Indians added outfielder Russ Canzler, lefty Scott Barnes and outfielder Thomas Neal.
WAHOO’S ON FIRST HIGHLIGHTS:
- Brian previewed the series with the Athletics and Merritt previewed the series with the Rangers
- Lewie interviewed David Fung of Athletics Nation about the Athletics
- Steve speculated on the role the Indians can have as the season ends
- Lewie questioned what kind of impact the blockbuster trade between the Los Angeles Dodgers and Boston Red Sox will have for small-market teams
- Geordy looked at five players who could get the September call-up with the Tribe
- Lewie gave five places Casey Kotchman could land before the August 31 trade deadline
- Lewie wondered why Shelley Duncan was designated for assignment
- Evan explained how Jason Kipnis became the Tribe’s leader in the clubhouse
- In this week’s Wroundtable, we speculated about which September call-up could have the biggest impact
- The Indians had a bleak August, going 5-24.
- The Indians spent 40 days in first place this season. Since holding a four-game lead over the division on May 17, the team has gone 33-60.
- The Indians lead the Majors in leadoff home runs with eight. Jason Kipnis, Shin-Soo Choo and Jason Donald have all contributed. Shin-Soo Choo has five, which is tied for most in the Majors this season.
- The eight leadoff homers are tied for most in franchise history. Grady Sizemore had seven and Franklin Gutierrez had one in 2008.
PLAYER OF THE WEEK: Carlos Santana
Santana found himself in a murky situation after a lack of hustle on a groundout during the sixth inning of Wednesday night’s contest. However, he was back in the lineup on Thursday and had an impact in the Indians’ lineup this week. He had a key role in Saturday night’s win, going one-for-four with a two-run double in the first inning. Before play on Sunday, he had three RBI on the week with two walks and six hits in 20 at-bats.
QUOTE OF THE WEEK:
“We might as well go out there and have fun. If we’re already going to lose every game, we might as well have a good attitude.” – Jason Kipnis