Welcome to Clevelinks, a new feature recapping the previous day’s Indians news and Wahoo’s on First commentary, as well as the best Tribe analysis from other sites.
- Ken Rosenthal says the Indians are out on Jim Thome; the team reportedly “do[es] not want to commit [a] roster spot to a DH.”
- Cleveland agreed to a two-year, $6 million deal with infielder Mike Aviles to buy out his final two years of arbitration. The contract guarantees Aviles $3 million in both 2013 and 2014 and includes a $3.5 million team option for 2015.
- In the wake of the Aviles signing, Jordan Bastian hears that Asdrubal Cabrera will likely be suiting up for another team by 2014.
- The Indians signed left-handed pitcher Rich Hill to a minor-league deal. Hill, who turns 33 next month, posted a 1.83 ERA despite a walk rate over 5.0 BB/9 in 25 relief appearances with the Red Sox in 2012.
Wahoo’s on First Highlights
- Lewie tried to quantify how much of an impact Jim Thome would make on the Indians’ 2013 lineup.
- Mike Brandyberry from Did the Tribe Win Last Night? profiles Francisco Lindor.
- Chris Gehring at Believing Since 1999 takes a look at the Indians’ first base options for 2013 and beyond.
- Voting is underway for the 2013 SABR Analytics Research awards yesterday at SABR.org, Baseball Prospectus, FanGraphs, and The Hardball Times. I am among the nominees in the “Contemporary Baseball Commentary” category (the second one on the ballot) for an article I wrote entitled “Did Hall of Fame’s Founders Want Voters to Judge With Their Eyes?”. If you like my work I would appreciate your support; either way, please take a few minutes to read and support some of the best baseball writing around.