Hope you had a nice Valentine’s Day! Here are yesterday’s Indians highlights:
- Two days after Miguel Montero called him out for his alleged stubbornness on the mound, Trevor Bauer‘s former teammate has released a recording of Bauer rapping on a song called “You Don’t Know Me.” The lyrics have been interpreted as referring to Montero, but Bauer claims the song was recorded two months ago and the timing of the release is just an unfortunate coincidence. “I have no hard feeling toward Miguel Montero,” he told Jordan Bastian.
- Terry Pluto reports that the Indians offered Michael Bourn a contract similar to the one he ultimately signed even before the Winter Meetings.
- The Minnesota Twins have signed Rafael Perez to a minor-league deal. For those who may not remember, Perez has spent the last seven years pitching out of the Indians’ bullpen.
Wahoo’s on First Highlights
- Geordy explained how the Bourn signing will impact the Tribe’s 2013 draft strategy.
- Katrina argued that Zach McAllister shouldn’t have to fight for a rotation spot this spring.
- Mike Brandyberry at Did the Tribe Win Last Night? interviews Giovanni Soto and his potential transition to the bullpen.
- Indians Baseball Insider’s Steve Orbanek profiles Matt LaPorta.
- Voting is underway for the 2013 SABR Analytics Research awards yesterday at SABR.org, Baseball Prospectus, FanGraphs, and The Hardball Times. I am among the nominees in the “Contemporary Baseball Commentary” category (the second one on the ballot) for an article I wrote entitled “Did Hall of Fame’s Founders Want Voters to Judge With Their Eyes?”. If you like my work I would appreciate your support; either way, please take a few minutes to read and support some of the best baseball writing around.
Top Prospect Crowdsourcing
- Voting is also underway in our 2013 Cleveland Indians top prospects crowdsourcing project. Please take a few minutes to help us pick the most promising young players in the organization!