Just over a week left until Opening Day! Here are this weekend’s Indians highlights:
- The team released Daisuke Matsuzaka Sunday night, but Cleveland wants to negotiate a new deal to keep him in the organization.
- The final roster moves of the spring are looming. Paul Hoynes doesn’t think Jason Giambi is a lock to make the Opening Day roster, though two of his possible competitors, Yan Gomes and Chris McGuiness, seem like long shots. Terry Pluto adds that Cord Phelps and Ezequiel Carrera are unlikely to make the team too.
- Buster Olney says the expectation around the league is that the Indians will shop Asdrubal Cabrera at midseason if they’re out of contention.
- Terry Francona announced that Chris Perez is likely to be healthy in time to be on the Opening Day roster.
- Meanwhile, Jason Kipnis isn’t at all worried about his sore elbow.
- Former Tribe farmhand Nick Weglarz has been released by the Rays, who had signed him to a minor-league contract earlier this winter.
Wahoo’s on First Highlights
- In last week’s Wroundtable, we debated who should comprise the Opening Day bullpen.
- Geordy continued his 2013 top prospects list with No. 8: LeVon Washington.
Tags: Cleveland Indians