With the non-waiver trading deadline quickly approaching, speculation is running rampant about what moves various teams are looking to make. Among these teams looking to make potential moves has been the Cleveland Indians. Since they are still in the thick of things for the AL Central and one of the two AL Wild Card spots, this makes sense. We’ve already seen them make one move for a left-handed reliever, but are they planning on doing anything else? We’ll soon find out.
The Indians helped fortify their bullpen on Tuesday when they acquired left-handed reliever Marc Rzepczynski from the St. Louis Cardinals in exchange for minor league short stop Juan Herrera. Also within that link is the surprising news that Vinnie Pestano had been optioned to Triple A Columbus with Triple-A right hander Joe Martinez being designated for assignment.
- Per Paul Hoynes, it was an emotional scene in the locker room for everyone when Pestano was informed of his demotion. Pestano has been a mainstay in the bullpen over the past two seasons and is beloved by both his teammates and the fans.
- For the latest on all of the latest Cleveland Indians trade rumors, be sure to check out their feed over on MLB Trade Rumors. Judging on recent news, it looks as if the Indians might be done wheeling and dealing for now.
Wahoo’s on First Links:
- Geordy Boveroux was all over the Indians trade for Marc Rzepczynski. You can read his review of the trade and just what he thinks the Indians go in return for a player that was most likely never going to make it to the big league club.
- Evan Vogel wonders what the Indians are doing with Danny Salazar and whether or not they should consider him for work in the bullpen.
- Nick Houghtaling provided a terrific profile on the resurgence of Scott Kazmir and how he has rebuilt his career after all but falling out of professional baseball.
- For last week’s Wrountable discussion, we all played pretend GM and came up with some make-believe trade we thought the Indians should make. Needless to say, no one called the Rzepczynski move.
Indians Analysis Links:
- Did the Tribe Win Last Night weighs in on the trade for Marc Rzepczynski.
- Indians Baseball Insider highlighted the move to send Vinnie Pestano down to Triple-A following yesterday’s trade.
- Let’s Go Tribe also detailed the Pestano move and also provided an update on the current status of the 25 and 40 man rosters.