The Indians kicked off the first of four games they will play against the Tigers this week, but unfortunately things are not going as the Tribe hopeful would have planned. A 4-2 loss and a ninth inning implosion by closer Chris Perez aren’t the results many had hoped for heading into last night’s game. However, that wasn’t the only news to arise from this week’s series against the Motor City Kitties. Perhaps even bigger than last night’s loss was word that Ubaldo Jimenez would be skipped in the rotation in favor of Danny Salazar. Naturally, when this news broke the internet imploded upon itself and leads this edition of Clevelinks.
In a move that was self-described as a sense of urgency, the Indians have called up rookie sensation Danny Salazar to start Wednesday’s game against the Detroit Tigers. Meanwhile, Jimenez will be pushed back to Friday night against the Angels.
- In Paul Hoynes’ summation of the situation, it appears that Ubaldo Jimenez isn’t thrilled with the decision to be skipped in the rotation in favor of Salazar, but it also appears that he will not raise much issue with it. Instead he seems supportive of his teammate and the opportunity granted to him.
- In the wake of the Biogenesis suspensions that were handed out on Monday, Terry Francona summed the situation up in the simplest of terms. Essentially, baseball made a difficult decision and sometimes, the difficult decision is the right decision.
- If you’re looking to go to Progressive Field this week, ScoreBig has Indians tickets available for both the Tigers and Angels series.
Wahoo’s on First Links:
- According to Katrina Putnam, Mark Reynolds still has value to this team moving forward even as the growing sentiment is that he does not. Her advice? Stay the course.
- The staff weighs in with their thoughts concerning the Biogenesis scandal and whether or not the actions taken by Major League Baseball are in the best interests of the game.
- The guys from Wahoo’s on the Mic weighed in on a number of issues last week. Among them were Michael Bourn‘s success, Justin Masterson‘s dominance, and cloning on Major League Baseball.
- Stephanie Metzger of Indians Baseball Insider explains Francisco Lindor‘s mantra, “Be consistent” and how it is helping him on his path to the big leagues.
- Matt Travis over at Did the Tribe Win Last Night describes how Vinnie Pestano has taken his recent demotion to Triple-A Columbus and turned it into a positive.
- Joseph Coblitz of Burning River Baseball provides his analysis of the recent move to start Danny Salazar in place of Ubaldo Jimenez on Wendesday.
Classic Indians Clip of the Day: