As if things couldn’t get any tougher for the Indians than they already are, now it turns out that Corey Kluber is headed to the disabled list. It a major blow for the Indians considering how well Kluber pitched against the Tigers on Monday and just how critical a member of the rotation he had become. Throw in the continuing struggles against the Tigers and suddenly the once bight hopes for the 2013 appear to be dimming a little more every day. With that in mind, here is the latest edition of Clevelinks, your source for some of the best Cleveland Indians related links on the internet.
As reported, Corey Kluber has been placed on the 15 day DL after spraining a finger during Monday’s spectacular outing. He experienced a bit of pain when throwing a breaking ball and was a clear indicator that the Indians needed to address the problem before it could get worse.
- Josh Tomlin continues to get closer to returning to the Indians following successful Tommy John Surgery. He is easing his way back into things with a rehab start in double-A Akron that will last two innings or 35 pitches. Could he eventually help the Tribe should Cory Kluber be out for an extended period of time?
- In a recent poll on Cleveland.com readers were asked which Tribe closer they would most trust in a late inning must win situation. Between Doug Jones, Bob Wickman, Jose Mesa, and Chris Perez, they decided on Jones.
Wahoo’s on First:
- Katrina Putnam described how the Indians chose to focus on their future while deciding not to do anything drastic in the present at the trade deadline.
- In his series preview, Brian Heise described how important it was for the Indians to perform well against the Tigers and just how devastating a sweep could be to their playoff implications.
- Brian Heise spoke with Matt Snyder of Motor City Bengals about the Tigers and how important this week’s series was for both teams and their aspirations for winning the AL Central title.
- Vince Guerrieri over at Did the Tribe Win Last Night wrote an interesting story about the 1968 Indians an Alvin Dark’s leadership.
- Stephanie Liscio of It’s Promounced Lajaway shares the pain of a lot of Indians fans and the frustration of how they continue to find new ways to lose to the Tigers on a continuing basis.
- Ryan at Let’s Go Tribe details the impact of Corey Kluber going to the 15 day DL.