As the Indians make a final push to secure one of two AL Wild Card spots, they are beginning to turn heads with their play. As a result, the Tribe is garnering a lot more attention from both the media and the fan base. These are good things, I assure you. For today’s edition of Clevelinks, we explore some of the key story lines surrounding the team as we draw nearer to October and playoff baseball. The most notable of these story lines being Justin Masterson and the saga that is his strained oblique muscle.
- According to the Plain Dealer, the plan is to get Justin Masterson back in the rotation by season’s end. However, they plan on being cautious and taking things slow. Masterson will start off out of the bullpen until he is ready to rejoin the rotation on a full-time basis.
ESPN reports that Masterson’s side is improving and felt good after throwing briefly in the bullpen. This is a positive step in the right direction for the Indians’ ace.
- The Indians have done a great job this season of maximizing opportunities against bad teams. However, they have noticeably struggled against teams over .500. That could be a problem if the Indians make the playoffs where, rumor has it, most teams have records above .500.
- Bryan Shaw is on a roll right now and as Jordan Bastian points out, he has been one of the most reliable relievers in the Indians bullpen all season long.
Wahoo’s on First Links:
- Jeff Mount tested karma and tried to lay out the possible playoff roster for the Indians.
- The Wahoo’s on First staff gave their predictions for what might happen as the season comes to a close and the Indians make their push for the playoffs. Well, most of the staff at least…
- Jeff Mount addressed the issue of stuffing the bullpen with September call ups and whether or not it is an unfair advantage.
- On the same day that the Cleveland Browns traded away Trent Richardson, Brian Heise discussed why the Indians deserve to have more people show up and wonders why fans continue to support the Browns over the Indians.
- Wahoo’s on the Mic released their 22nd episode this past week. I have to say, it’s probably the best one yet.
Indians Analysis Links:
- Bob Toth from Did the Tribe Win Last Night explains that the Indians are giving the city of Cleveland exactly what they need… a winner.
- Let’s Go Tribe laid out all of the possible playoff scenarios for the Indians.
- Stephanie Liscio of It’s Pronounced Lajaway offered up some special events that will be happening in the city over the next couple of days.
Tribe Video of the Day:
Michael Brantley‘s two-run home run last night helped secure the Indians 4-1 win over the Astros. (refresh if video fails to load)