With the 2013 season finally over, the Indians have to begin the long and painful process of reviewing the 2013 roster and determining who should be back in 2014 and who should hit the road. We can debate any number of players we may or may not want back, but one thing is certain. Three players that played key roles in the Indians’ 2013 success have uncertain futures ahead of them. That’s where we’ll begin today’s latest edition of Clevelinks.
- Ubaldo Jimenez, Scott Kazmir, and Jason Giambi all played a key role in leading the Cleveland Indians into the 2013 postseason. Unfortunately, all three may not be back in 2014. Giambi may or may not retire, Kazmir will be a free agent, and Jimenez has a mutual option.
The Indians may not be advancing any further in the 2013 playoffs, but much like us here at Wahoo’s on First, they can see the bigger picture. The loss on Wednesday hurt, but it is clear that the Indians have built a solid core that is ready for the future.
- Terry Pluto believes the Indians will need to be bold this offseason and make several moves to help get them over the hump. First on his wish list? Moving Asdrubal Cabrera.
- Terry Francona started Lonnie Chisenhall over Mike Aviles on Wednesday night and was handsomely rewarded. All Chiz did was go 3 for 4 and look like the Lonnie Chisenhall the Indians have been waiting to see at the big league level.
Wahoo’s on First Links:
- Nick Wheatley-Schaller analyzed the Indians new closer by committee and who the best option to close out games should have been.
- On this week’s episode of Wahoo’s on the Mic, Merritt,Ed, and Nick welcomed Brian Heise, the editor of Wahoo’s on First, to help preview the wild card game.
- Here are the top five moments from the Wild Card clinching game versus Minnesota… in gif form.
- Jeff Mount questioned the decision to start Danny Salazar in the Wild Card game.
- Merritt Rohlfing discusses his excitement about the Indians going wildcarding.