In today’s edition of Clevelinks, we take look at Jordan Bastian’s mailbag, where he discusses the idea of Nick Swisher and Michael Bourn being better in 2014, Francisco Lindor‘s position as the top rated short stop prospect in baseball, and a plethora of other topics. It may be the slow time of the year for the Indians, but by no mens does that mean there isn’t news to break. So sit back, relax, and enjoy today’s edition of Clevelinks.
- In Jordan Bastian’s latest mailbag, he addresses a question regarding Michael Bourn and Nick Swisher. According to Bastian, word around the Tribe front office is that Nick Swisher and Michael Bourn tried to do too much this season to try to play up to the expectations that came with their new contracts. Everyone expects that they will play better in 2014.
Francisco Lindor is tagged as the top short stop prospect in all of baseball. This is quite the distinction considering the talent level of some of the short stops currently biding their time in the minor league levels along with Lindor.
- Speaking of prospects, Fangraphs has been reviewing the minor league systems of each organization. A few weeks ago they focused their attention on the Indians.
Wahoo’s on First Links:
- Evan Vogel recently analyzed whether or not the Indians can and should make a trade for David Price. Price, the ace of the Rays and former Cy Young winner, is nearing the end of his contract and is projected by many to be on the trading block this offseason. It makes sense, moving pitchers before they come due for big money is the Rays’ M.O.
- Brian Heise analyzed the potential of a Lonnie Chisenhall/Mike Aviles third base platoon for the Indians in 2014. Despite the issues we have seen in the past with platoons, this one may have a legitimate shot at being half way decent.
- Jeff Mount discussed the issue surrounding the use of Chief Wahoo and other Native American imagery for sports logos.
- Katrina Putnam believes the Indians need to resign Joe Smith in order to help solidify the bullpen in 2014.
- Did the Tribe Win Last Night is continuing to make progress in their 1948 project. You can check it out here.
- Let’s Go Tribe discusses how the recent contract given to Tim Lincecum by the San Francisco Giants effects the Indians and their ability to possibly resign Scott Kazmir and Ubaldo Jimenez.
- Changes on tap in the bullpen? Indians Baseball Insider certainly thinks so.
Video of the Day: The video below is from all the way back in 1993 during the final season at the old Cleveland Municipal Stadium. It gives a nice tour and some decent shots of the field from various angles. Also important to point out is just how tight the Texas Rangers wore their pants back in 1993. It’s a stark contrast to how baggy pants are worn nowadays.