David Murphy to the Tribe
The Indians have begun making moves for the 2014 season. The first of what is sure to be several dominoes to fall happened late Tuesday night. David Murphy, who spent the past seven seasons with the Texas Rangers agree to a two-year $10-million contract with the club. He will most likely serve as a forth outfielder and will receive most of his playing time against right-handed pitching. As a left-handed hitter, this was a role he regularly excelled at during his time in Texas. For today’s edition of Clevelinks, we start with the signing and get some of the reactions from around the web.
- The official website of the Indians has made it official. David Murphy will sign with the Indians to shore up the outfield. The deal is said to be for two years and worth around $10-million.
Kevin O’Brien of the Plain Dealer has his report of the Murphy signing up on Cleveland.com
- Sheldon Ocker of Ohio.com has a brief story up about Murphy. Apparently, Ocker does not believe Murphy can be the type of RBI bat the Indians need.
- In non-David Murphy news, Tyler Naquin experienced a tremendous amount of growth and development in the Arizona Fall League. Could he become the type of prospect many hoped he’d become when the Indians drafted him?
Wahoo’s on First Links:
- Brian Heise reports on the David Murphy signing while also giving a little background on him and what this means for the Indians moving forward.
- Could Drew Stubbs be on the trading block? If he wasn’t before the Murphy signing, he probably is now.
- Nick Wheatley-Schaller counts down the top plays of the season based on WPA. Here is play #5.
- Ed Carroll and Steve Kinsella are discussing relievers in a five-part series. Here is part 1 and part 2.
- Omar Vizquel has joined the Detroit Tigers coaching staff, much to the dismay of many Indians fans.
- Indians Baseball Insider has a story posted on the signing of David Murphy. You can read it here.
- Stephanie Liscio of It’s Pronounced Lajaway gives her analysis and also reports on other Indians news.
- Let’s Go Tribe has a link up about David Murphy for your reading pleasure.
- Nolan Writin’, a Texas Rangers fan site, posted an article about Murphy’s 2013 struggles back towards the end of October.
David Murphy Video:
It’s also possible that the Indians didn’t sign David Murphy to shore up their outfield, but rather they signed him to help solidify their bullpen. Much like Ryan Raburn, Murphy also pitched an inning of relief in 2013 for the Ranger. You can watch video from it below. (refresh if video fails to load)