The hot stove season is in full swing and the Indians have begun making moves to prepare for 2014 and beyond. They’ve signed players, released players, and even added players to the 40-man roster to protect from the Rule 5 Draft. In today’s edition of Clevelinks, we take a look at some of their most recent moves, among other things.
- The Indians added five players to their 40-man roster to protect from the upcoming Rule 5 Draft. Some of the choices were obvious while at least one other was a bit of a head scratcher.
- To help make room for the additions, the Indians had to make a couple of adjustments. Chief among them was the DFA of utility infielder Cord Phelps.
As we here at Wahoo’s on First have been saying for quite some time now, the Indians will listen to offers for shortstop Asdrubal Cabrera. In return the Indians will prioritize pitching in return for any deal involving Cabrera.
- Jerry Crasnick of ESPN reports via Twitter that the Indians have come to agreement with Mike Zagurski. The left reliever will receive an invitation to big league camp this spring.
- Darren Wolfson of ESPN 1500 in Minneapolis reports that the Twins once had interest in former Indian Grady Sizemore, but have since moved on. This is the first time in a long time that Sizemore has been potentially linked to another team besides the Indians.
- Prospects Joe Wendle and Cody Anderson were honored by the Indians and named the top position player and pitcher in the Indians minor league system for 2013.
Wahoo’s on First Links:
- Michael Chaney provides an analysis of the five players the Indians protected from the Rule 5 Draft.
- Katrina Putnam provides an analysis of some unprotected players that could be grabbed by other teams in the Rule 5 Draft.
- How does the Prince Fielder for Ian Kinsler trade affect the Indians? Click here to find out.
- Ed Carroll and Steve Kinsella continue to argue about the bullpen. Parts three and four of their series can be found here and here.
- Did the Tribe Win Last Night catches up with former Tribe pitcher Dave Burba
- Stephanie Liscio at It’s Pronounced Lajaway gives her thoughts on the Ian Kinsler for Prince Fielder trade between Texas and Detroit.
- Jason Lukehart of Let’s Go Tribe also provides an analysis of the mega-deal involving Texas and Detroit.
- Indians Basenball Insider provides their thoughts on David Murphy