There’s certainly a lot to be thankful for this year, and always. Reality is much greater right now than the world of writing, as I’m thankful for having a loving wife and daughter, who support every decision that I make and continue to be the reason why I wake up every day to be the best person that I can, but most readers probably care very little about the tear-jerking nature of a blogger’s reality and are looking for some fantastic humor or idea that entertains them while they’re listening to their great uncle snore away a dinner, while the women complain about the men all sitting around a television to watch football on a day that was meant for family.
For the escape, you have my list:
- The Indians made the playoffs!
- The Indians had solid starting pitching!
Chris Perez was released!
- Jason Kipnis, Carlos Santana, and Nick Swisher are good – I expect bigger things next year.
- Francisco Lindor is a year away from replacing Asdrubal Cabrera at short, and his defensive skills will make the Indians better than any offensive “talent” that Cabrera has. By the way, Cabrera replaced Jhonny Peralta at short because Peralta was fat and couldn’t handle the position, yet Cabrera is the worst SS in baseball defensively since 2010 and Peralta is 4th in UZR since moving back to short for Detroit. He is also fat and can’t handle the position now.
- In other baseball thanks…
- Umpires being held accountable for terrible strike zones.
- Bud Selig and his terrible wardrobe retiring.
- Brad Ziegler for calling out Peralta for cheating and the ownership that rewards cheaters.
- The Cardinals losing in the World Series.
- The Yankees failing to reach the playoffs.
- The Pirates finally reaching pay dirt.
- Mike Trout.
- Greg Maddux being eligible for the Hall of Fame – he was my favorite player when growing up.
- Another year for the BBWAA to embarrass themselves with their Cooperstown vote, which supplies us with plenty of material in the blogosphere.
- A subscription to Baseball Prospectus (wife and daughter are awesome – this was a recent birthday gift).
- Keith Law and Lewie Pollis making my ESPN the Magazine/Insider worth keeping.
- Jim Bowden for his stupid, hilarious analysis.
- Baseball podcasts for long drives.
- Good writers.
- Wahoo’s on First.
- The Baseball Haven readers.
- Fantasy baseball.
- Health, friends, love, beer, sex, and Netflix…oh…and God.