Indians Avoid Urge to Overspend
With teams spending more than every on free agent signings, I’m looking at you Seattle Mariners, the Indians have been surprisingly quiet. Well, perhaps not surprisingly, but they have not been linked or rumored to be connected to anyone not named David Murphy. Today’s edition of Clevelinks examines his lack of spending and how being frugal might be the best strategy in a market full of insanely crazy overspending.
- Anthony Castrovince explains how the Indians have steered clear of the spending spree of free agency this winter. He explains the logic behind the failure to resign Scott Kazmir, why Garrett Jones might have been a better bargain than David Murphy, and how Justin Masterson‘s potential extension plays into all of this.
- Jordan Bastian provides a good summary of how the Indians will gauge the market at the winter meetings, what their areas of need are, who might be on the move, and how they might be moved.
- The Miami Herald of all place has posted a story about how Chris Antonetti is preparing for the winter meetings.
- The Chicago Tribune has posted a team report on the Cleveland Indians. It should come as a surprise to no one that Jason Kipnis was named team MVP.
Wahoo’s on First Links:
- Merritt Rohlfing provided a hilariously entertaining take on how the Indians need to find their own magical quick similar to the Red Sox beards from this past season.
- The Indians keep missing out on free agent targets.
- Scott Feldman has signed with the Houston Astros, thus thinning out the free agent pitching market even more.
- Ever wonder who are the best Indians by uniform number? Well you’re in luck thanks to It’s Pronounced Lajaway.
- The Indians wouldn’t ever move… would they?
- Why is Cleveland a Browns town? We’ve all asked that question at some point. Did the Tribe Win Last Night is the latest site to ask and try to answer the question.