Indians Standing Pat
The winter meetings are heating up and that means that players are on the move. General managers are wheeling and dealing trying to make the best moves to improve their respective teams. While the Indians sit idle (unless you count David Murphy and David Cooper), everyone seems to be making a move to acquire top-level talent. The worst part is that most of these moves have involved players the Indians have been rumored to have interest in. In today’s edition of Clevelinks, we take a look at some of the moves other teams have been making.
- Jordan Bastian reports that the Indians are willing to listen to trade offers involving Justin Masterson and Asdrubal Cabrera. Will the Indians really trade away their ace? And better yet, could the Indians receive a package in return that could justify such a move? We’ll have to wait and see.
The Indians were reportedly among the teams interested in trading for Oakland starter Brett Anderson. Well, that ship has sailed as Anderson was traded to the Rockies. A key piece of the trade, former Indians prospect Drew Pomeranz.
- The Diamondbacks were able to acquire slugger Mark Trumbo from the Angels as part of a three team deal. Trumbo was at one point rumored to be on his way to Cleveland, but that turned out to not be the case. Full details here.
- According to MLB Trade Rumors, the Indians have reportedly had discussions with Grant Balfour. It is doubtful that any inquiry was serious. Balfour is looking for big money and multiple years guaranteed. That is something the Indians are unlikely to do for anyone, let alone a closer with a lot of innings on his arm and on the wrong side of thirty.
Wahoo’s on First Links:
- Wahoo’s on the Mic is back after a brief hiatus. You can catch up on their latest episode right here.
- Ed Carroll explains why a Carlos Santana for David Price trade would not be a good decision, especially with the potential financial ramifications.
- Yan Gomes had a great season in 2013. You can read all about it in our latest player recap.
- Let’s Go Tribe takes a look at the Santana for Price trade that had been rumored on the internet.
- Did the Tribe Win Last Night has an article posted about the winter meetings and how they could entice the Indians to make a move.
- It’s Pronounced Lajaway takes a look at the David Cooper singing.
- Indians Baseball Insider has a recap of the winter meetings, so far.