As has been the story of the offseason so far, the Indians have done very little in terms of significant moves, but have done a decent job of adding depth throughout their system. From the big league roster on down through the minors, the Indians have added players who could all make valuable contributions as the 2014 season wears on. And while there is sure to be at least a few major moves made between now and the start of Spring Training, for now we will have to make due with vertical depth. That is where today’s latest edition of Clevelinks starts off.
- The Indians have reached an agreement with former Brewers closer and Cardinals set-up man, John Axford. Expect Axford to compete for the closer’s spot during Spring Training.
- Looking to add arms to their starting rotation, the Indians have signed Shaun Marcum. The deal is a one year minor league contract with an invitation to Spring Training with the Indians. Marcum is a long shot to make the rotation, however. He is coming off of season ending surgery to alleviate thoracic outlet syndrome.
- Needing help at catcher, the Indians have signed Matt Treanor to a minor league contract that also includes an invitation to attend Spring Training. Treanor has spent time with the Marlins, Tigers, Rangers, Royals and Dodgers, but is mostly known for being the husband of Olympic beach volleyball player Misty May.
Wahoos on First Links:
- In case you missed it, you can catch up on episode #35 of Wahoo’s on the Mic right here.
- Here is our report on John Axford’s signing with the Indians to a one year deal.
- Terry Francona disputes the rule to protect catchers during home plate collisions.
- Evan Vogel explains how to avoid baseball purgatory.
- Indians Baseball Insider takes a look at Trevor Bauer and his mechanical adjustments.
- Let’s Go Tribe has named Albert Belle the 21st ranked Indian in their top 100 countdown.
- Did the Tribe Win Last Night says that the recent Masterson trade talks should be cause for concern.