Indians Will Face Tough Arbitration Decisions
In today’s edition of Clevelinks, we take a look at the pending arbitration cases for several members of the Cleveland Indians. Historically, the Indians have tried to avoid arbitration like the plague so it comes as a bit of a surprise that six players would file. But, such is the nature of doing business and now the Indians will have to work towards locking up these players for at least the upcoming season, if not longer. Also, the Indians signed Myjer Morgan to a minor league deal, so there’s that. Anyways, without further ado, here are the Clevelinks for January 15, 2014.
- As mentioned, six Indians have filed for free agency - Justin Masterson, Michael Brantley, Josh Outman, Josh Tomlin, Vinnie Pestano, and Marc Rzepczynski. Outman has already agreed to a deal and three others will probably follow suit. It is Masterson and Brantley who will be difficult to come to agreement with. Both are coming off of great seasons and Masterson will be available for free agency following the 2014 season. Will the Indians be able to work out multi-year deals to keep them in town for the foreseeable future? We’ll have to wait and see.
- Nyjey Morgan, the free agent outfielder who made a name for himself with the Nationals and Brewers, has agreed to a minor league deal with the Indians that will also include an invite to spring training with the big league club. The deal is low risk with Morgan standing to earn a little over $1-million is he can make the team and meet incentives.
- CSNWashington.com has posted a 2014 outlook for the Indians. While it is still way too early to be making predictions, this can help us better understand how the team is viewed from an objective view point.
- As mentioned above, Josh Outman has agreed to a one year deal with the Indians. You can find all of the details here.
Wahoo’s on First Links:
- John Axford was tipping his pitches. Now that the problem has been fixed, Axford might be one of the best bargain signings of the winter.
- Wahoo’s on the Mic is back from their unplanned hiatus. Needless to say, the time off did not serve to temper their opinions any. You can listen to Merritt, Nick, and Ed ramble on here.
- Evan Vogel breaks down the impact of Jesus Aguilar and the power potential he could provide the Indians at the plate.
- What would an extenion for Jason Kipnis look like? Let’s Go Tribe offers up their opinion on the matter.
- Players from the movie Major League will have their baseball cards included in packs of Topps Trading Cards this year. This is a very cool commemorative promotion for one of the best baseball movies of all-time.
- It’s Pronounced Lajaway provides analysis of the Nyjer Morgan signing here.