Can the Indians be Better?
On today’s edition of Clevelinks, we examine everything that has been going on with the Indians of late. That includes, news, rumors, and even a bit of analysis. The most recent news with the Indians all seems to pertain to Tribe Fest. The annual gathering that brings fans into contact with their favorite players was a success once again even despite the poor weather conditions this past weekend. However, we lead off with a bit of optimism on the national front where one writer believes the Indians can exceed expectations in 2014.
- Shaun Heidrick of Yahoo Sports believes that the Indians have what it takes to exceed expectations in 2014. He provides three reasons for this theory, all of which seem to be fairly accurate and support his opinion quite well. Also, it’s an article in favor of the Indians, so what’s not to love?
The Indians have agreed to a deal with free agent utility infielder, Elliot Johnson. He spent last season with the Royals and Braves and became Atlanta’s primary second baseman once it became obvious that Dan Uggla‘s struggles could not be fixed. The deal is a minor league deal and includes an invite to big league camp next month.
- The Indians and Justin Masterson have apparently shelved talks of a multi-year extension. Unable to reach an agreement, both sides have agreed that is it in the best interest of everyone that they focus on getting a one-year deal figured out first and foremost. This comes as a major blow. If the Indians are unable to sign Masterson to a long-term deal now, their chances of doing it after the season become less and less each and every day.
- Tribe Fest was a hit. Check out photos and videos Here.
Wahoo’s on First Links:
- #TweetTito puts fans in direct contact with the Indians skipper.
- John Axford couldn’t make it to Tribe Fest so he contributed in his own way with #AskAxford.
- Jason Kipnis is talking to the Indians about an extension. Brian Heise lays out what it might take to get a deal done.
- Jim Thome is getting a statue and the Indians have announced when it will be unveiled.
- The sin tax is set to expire. How does this effect the Indians? Read this story to find out.
- Did the Tribe Win Last Night dispels the myth that the Indians had a bad offense in 2013.
- Jason Lukehart of Let’s Go Tribe explains that the Indians are projected to win 85 games in 2014.
- Stephanie Liscio of It’s Pronounced Lajaway attended Tribe Fest and shares her experience.