Vinnie Pestano Loses Arbitration Case While Indians Refocus
In case you missed it, the Cleveland Indians went to arbitration for the first time in over twenty years last week. The end result of the hearing between the team and their setup man, Vinnie Pestano, actually ended in their favor. Of course, Pestano’s arbitration hearing is the least of their worries as they still have the likes of Justin Masterson, Michael Brantley, and Josh Tomlin to deal with. No big deal, right? Not even close. It’s a huge deal. So huge, in fact, that it leads off today’s edition of Clevelinks.
- As mentioned, the Indians defeated Vinnie Pestano in arbitration this past week. The end result, Pestano will make less than $1-million this year while he tries to bounce back from a miserable, injury plagued 2013 season.
- While defeating Pestano was seen as a success, the Indians still have yet to reach a deal with either Justin Masterson or Michael Brantley. Will they be able to find a dollar amount that will work for everyone involved? Will they reach multi-year agreements? Will it ultimately end in arbitration? A lot could go wrong here.
- Bleacher Report has provided a list of the top eight prospects to keep an eye on at spring training this year. The most likely candidates to make the team this season based off of their list – Jesus Aguilar, Carlos Moncrief, and Jose Ramirez.
- The Atlanta Braves signed Freddie Freeman to a massive contract extension. Paul Hoynes explains how that deal may affect the Indians when it comes time to extend some of their key players.
Wahoo’s on First Links:
- Evan Vogel takes a look at what Olympics sports the Indians would participate in if they had gone to Sochi.
- Brian Heise provides the top five fake headlines that would cause the most buzz among the fans.
- It’s been a low off-season and it’s starting to take its toll on the Wahoo’s on First podcast. Check out the latest episode.
- Brian Heise reviews the Indians new batting practice jersey and explains whether or not they are an A or an F.
- Ash Day of Let’s Go Tribe explains why Yan Gomes might be headed for a huge 2014 season.
- Feeling down in the dumps about Cleveland Sports? It’s Pronounced Lajaway tells you to appreciate the Indians.
- Did the Tribe Win Last Night has a great piece posted about Albert Belle. It’s not a new piece, but rather something reposted out of their archives.