Spring Training Signals the Start of a New Season of Indians Baseball
Baseball is back! Well, almost back. With spring training officially open for business, the Indians are beginning the painfully long process of preparing for the start of the 2014 season. With that comes a number of different story lines to pay attention to, questions to ask, and position battles to unfold. In today’s edition of Clevelinks, the first in several days, we take a look at everything that has been going on in Indians camp. So, without any further introduction, here are your Clevelinks for Friday, February 21.
- Jason Giambi is talking World Series. No, not about the World Series. He’s talking about the possibility of the Cleveland Indians winning the World Series this season. Gotta love the optimism from the grizzled veteran. #VeteranPresents.
As spring training has gotten under way, each player has sat down and talked about they envision for the 2014 season. The overwhelming sentiment has been increased expectations. After making the playoffs for the first time since 2007, the Indians are ready to get back and make some noise.
- Ubaldo Jimenez signed with the Orioles earlier this week for 4 years and $50-million. He talked to Yahoo Sports about going up against the AL East this season and his expectations for himself.
- If you’re looking for the latest news about Indians baseball and spring training, we urge you to follow Indians beat writer Jordan Bastian on Twitter. Jordan has been kind enough to grant us permission to use his photos from this spring here at Wahoo’s on First and we felt it necessary to give him a shout out. Also follow his daily blog covering the Indians.
Wahoo’s on First Links:
- Wahoo’s on First has begun profiling players for the 2014 season. You can read previews for Carlos Santana, Jason Giambi, Justin Masterson, and Cody Allen.
- In the latest episode of Wahoo’s on the Mic, Merritt and Ed are talking Indians baseball and break down the Michael Brantley extension. They also talk a bit about over/under’s. Fun times were had by all.
- Steve Kinsella broke down how the Indians struggled in 2013 against right-handed pitching and why he expects their numbers should significantly improve in 2014.
- Brian Heise asks whether or not the Indians right field platoon can work? After looking at the stats, the latest outfield platoon bears a striking resemblance to a failed platoon from years past.
- Steve Eby of Did the Tribe Win Last Night? profiles David Murphy and explains why he hopes to rebound in 2014 from a disastrous 2013 season.
- Jason Lukehart from Let’s Go Tribe! breaks down the battle for the fifth and final spot in the Indians starting rotation.
- Two great articles are currently up at It’s Pronounced Lajaway. The first, by Mike Schreiner talks about Ubaldo Jimenez and letting him go. The other, by Sam Butts, talks about how not extending Justin Masterson will come back to haunt the Indians.
- Jim Pete of Indians Baseball Insider is talking about Jimenez and Masterson and takes a look at how a giant mess is beginning to unfold.
Indians Video of the Day:
Jason Giambi talks about the expectations for 2014 and his leadership role on this team. (refresh if player doesn’t load)