- Vinnie Pestano‘s rough start to the season reached an inevitable breaking point. After surrendering three runs on Tuesday night, Pestano was optioned to Triple-A in order to work out his issues. C.C. Lee was called up to take his spot in the bullpen. This may be the beginning of the end for Pestano. After injuries in 2013, Pestano looks lost on the mound.
- The replay system is flawed. Also, the interpretation of the “Transfer Rule” is also flawed. We saw first hand on Wednesday when what was without a doubt a catch ended up being ruled a drop. That drop ended up leading to a run scored. A run that would prove to be the difference.
- The Indians Achilles heal to start this season has been hitting into double plays. Several times during Wednesday’s game two loss they had opportunities, but then hit into a double play to end the rally.
- Elliot Johnson trying, and failing, to get a bunt down with two strikes. He very clearly tried to do that on his own. If that’s a decision you’re going to make on your own, you better get it right. It’s bad enough to give away an out. It’s even worse to give away an out and not accomplish what you were trying to do.
- Batting Asdrubal Cabrera and Elliot Johnson in the leadoff spot while Nyjer Morgan got a day of rest made no sense. Neither player is known for his ability to get on base consistently. Johnson was a complete surprise, Cabrera not so much. However, even though this wasn’t the first time he batted leadoff this season, it still didn’t make much sense.